Sunday, August 4, 2013

Lesson 17- Prepositions

Here are some common prepositions in Arabic.

3aley  upon
min     from
ma3   with
fii       in


washinTon fii amriika.  Washinton is in America.
nyuu yurk fii amriika eyDan.  New York is in America, too.

al-qaahira fii miSr.  Cairo is in Egypt.
al-iskanderiya fii miSr eyDan.  Alexandria is in Egypt, too.

makka fii s-sa3uudiiya.  Mecca is in Saudi Arabia.
madina fii s-sa3uudiiya eyDan.  Madina is in Saudi Arabia, too.

faas fii L-maghrib.  Fez is in Morocco.
rabaaT fii L-maghrib eyDan.  Rabat is in Morocco, too.

as-salaam 3aley-kum.  The peace upon you.
wa 3aley-kum, as-salaam.  And upon you, the peace.

ana min amriika.  I am from America.
ana min aL-urdun.  I am from Jordan.
ana min libiiya.   I am from Libya.
ana min kuweyt.  I am from Kuwait.
ana min aL-3iiraaq.  I am from Iraq.

min eyna anta?  Where are you(m) from? (from where you(m)?)
min eyna anti?   Where are you(f) from?  (from where you(f))?
inta min wayn?   Where are you(m) from?  (you(m) from where?)
inti min wayn?   Where are you(f) from?
note:  inta/inti is the colloquial pronunciation of anta/anti

ma3-ii fuluus.   I have money.  (With me is money/I've got money with me.)
ma3-ii Sadiiq.   I have a friend.  (With me is a friend/I've got a friend with me.)
ma3-ii Habiib-ii  My honey(m) is with me.  (I've got my Honey/my love(m))
ma3-ii Habibt-ii  My honey(f) is with me.  (I've got my Honey/my love(f)).

haaða min Habibt-ii  This is from my sweetheart(f).  (This is from my love(f)/girlfriend).
haaða min Habiib-ii  This is from my sweetie(m).  (This is from my love(m)/boyfriend).

No comments:

Post a Comment